Friday, September 30, 2011

Keeping it [kind of] simple

I try to be zen.  I would love to live in a big empty house with bright lights, a mattress, and a few pieces of art.  But I also love to collect and people keep giving me things!

On Monday night I went to a meeting for the Northwest Ohio Modern Quilt Guild and received a set of Fat Quarters from Jay McCarroll's "Habitat" line along with a challenge to create something using most of the fabric.  Here are the rules:

1. Item made must be quilted
2. May add other Habitat fabrics, otherwise – only solids
3. Due at our October meeting
4. Make something you like and want!


I appreciate the collection and wouldn't want to add to the busy-ness anyway, and I think that only using a white or cream solid will showcase the design.  Since I'm currently work on City Block quilts that have 132 blocks (each of which is made up of 3 smaller blocks and white sashing, so what's that - a million pieces???), I want to keep this one relatively simple with a lot of negative space.  Here are the fabrics and my design idea.


What do you think?  Definitely a take on my old pal Mondrian.  It's going to be awhile before I can get started on this guy so there may be a few other iterations of the design.

The other colorway of this fabric is pretty cool too - take a look and purchase it at this link.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Like this idea very much. Love the way the negative space sets off the prints.